If your field is history—no matter what your specialization is or where you work—membership in the American Historical Association is indispensable. Among the numerous organizations that serve historians, only the AHA brings together historians from all geographical, chronological, and topical specializations and all work contexts, embracing the breadth and variety of activity in history today. More important, only the AHA addresses the diverse special needs of individuals and the interests of the discipline as a whole. No matter what other specialized organizations you belong to, AHA membership is still essential—no other organization serves you and the discipline as a whole like the AHA.
- Join now - Membership form
- Why Join the AHA?
- Benefits and Discounts Offered to Members
- Member Services Program (MSP)
- K-12 Membership
Organizations and Institutions
- Income under $25,000 - $47/1 year or $141/3 years
- Income over $25,000 - $86/1 year or $258/3 years
- Income over $45,000 - $118/1 year or $354/3 years
- Income over $70,000 - $162/1 year or $486/3 years
- Income over $100,000 - $190/1 year or $570/3 years
- Income over $150,000 - $220/1 year or $660/3 years
- Student1 - $40/1 year or $120/3 years
- Early Career2 (renewal only) - $50/1 year or $150/3 years
- Associate3 - $93/1 year or $279/3 years
- K–12 Teacher (AHA/SHE)4 - $75/1 year or $225/3 years
- K–12 Teacher w/Review5 - $96/1 year or $288/3 years
- Emeritus/Retired - $58/1 year or $174/3 years
- Contributing - $310/1 year or $930/3 years
- Joint Spouse/Partner6 - $55/1 year or $165/3 years
- Life Member - $3,500
1. Evidence of current status required.
2. Current members are eligible for the Early Career rate for the first three years after leaving the student category.
3. For persons whose primary identification is in fields other than history.
4. K–12 teachers receive Perspectives; annual meeting Program; and Society for History Education’s History Teacher.
5. Includes everything in the K–12 Teacher membership plus AHR.
6. Joint membership available only to spouse/partner of current dues-paying member.
Please note that overseas members, including Canada and Mexico, need to add $20 per year for postage.
Q. Does AHA offer multiple-year memberships?
A: Yes, AHA now offers a three-year membership renewal option.
Q: If I join the AHA today, when will my membership expire?
A: One year (or three years) from the month you join.
Q: I just received a renewal notice but my membership doesn’t expire for four months. If I renew now, what will my new expiration date be?
A: Your membership will expire one year (or three years) from your current expiration date.
Q: I joined online. How soon can I log on to member services?
A: Online applications and renewals are processed immediately. Your access to member services will begin after you receive your membership e-mail confirmation. New members will receive a welcome packet in the mail.
Q: Can I cancel my membership during the year and receive a refund?
A: Membership may be cancelled by contacting the AHA membership department by e-mail at email@example.com or mail; however, AHA is not able to offer refunds for cancelled memberships.
Q: My spouse/partner is a member of the AHA. Can I join at a discounted member rate?
Yes, the AHA currently has a Joint Spouse/Partner of Member category.