AHA Offers Child Care Grants for 2014 Annual Meeting
AHA Staff, September 2013
The Association will offer 10 grants of up to $200 USD to assist AHA members who are bringing children to the meeting. The grants are intended to help offset the cost of child care, enabling attendees with dependent children to attend the meeting.
Eligibility and Terms
- History graduate students, adjuncts, and early-career historians (within five years of the earned degree) are eligible, with priority to those who are on the program and/or who are interviewing at the meeting. Only one parent of a child or children may apply for a grant.
- Allowable expenses include babysitters (onsite at the conference location or extra expenses for additional child care at home) and airfare/hotel for a caregiver to accompany the child to the annual meeting location.
- Not eligible for reimbursement are meals, onsite transportation, and tickets to museums or other attractions; child care expenses (nanny, babysitter, after school care) not related to attendance at the meeting.
- Child care funds cannot be used to fund travel or other expenses related to the attendee's participation in the meeting (including meeting registration or other expenses the attendee would already be incurring by attending the meeting), nor can they be used to fund travel expenses for the child (children).
- Reimbursements will be distributed following the annual meeting. Each recipient will complete an AHA reimbursement form (distributed with the award notification e-mail), and submit it with original receipts to the AHA office at the address noted on the reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement may be requested for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount of the grant. Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual recipient. No funds can be distributed prior to the conclusion of the annual meeting and no funds are distributed onsite at the meeting.
The application period is from September 16 through November 1. AHA members planning to attend the meeting can apply for a grant by completing and submitting the online application form no later than November 1, 2013. Upon submission of a completed grant application, applicants will receive a confirmation e-mail. With a limited number of grants, the AHA may not be able to meet the needs of all applicants. All applicants will be notified no later than November 15, 2013.
Applicants with questions can e-mail the AHA's office.